This ongoing project will record the graves in the cemetery of the Church of St John in the Wilderness, a nineteenth-century British garrison church just outside McLeodganj, Dharamshala. The tombstones, which date from the mid-nineteenth century to the present day, form an important record of the history of the area, but with age and the heavy monsoons, they are weathering fast, with many already illegible. The Gothic-style building, completed in 1852, was the garrison church for the nearby army cantonment. The most imposing monument is for Lord Elgin, who was Viceroy of India when he died here in 1863, but other graves record deaths from disease, in war and at sea. Some speak of the particular conditions of the area – one man was killed by a bear, while several died in the calamitous earthquake of 1905, which killed 20,000 people and caused widespread destruction.